Setting up your VAVoyager account
To set up your VAVoyager account, you will be invited by a VDOE WBL Specialist . When you receive your initial invitation to sign-up, you will have 24 hours to complete the sign-up process before the invitation link expires. If your link does expire, there is a very easy fix. Simply reach out to your VDOE WBL Specialist and they can reset your link.
When you confirm your account, You will provide your email address and set-up a password to access the platform. Your password must contain a minimum of 8 letters, at least one upper and one lower case letter, at least one number, at least 1 special character, and cannot be a repeat of one of your previous 4 passwords.
Then, you will be prompted to sign a Terms of Service agreement which allows you to view student data.
Manage your notifications
To manage your notifications, and most things related to your personal account, begin by clicking your name on the top right of your page.
From there you will be taken to your User Profile page. Here you can update fields such as email, phone number, and more. To update your notifications, scroll to the bottom of the page where you will see the notifications section.
To receive text or email notifications, first check the appropriate box.
Now, you can determine the cadence of the alerts you receive. You may elect to receive a “digest” which will group all of your emailed alerts into a single message that is sent only once a day at a time you specify. If you choose “Do Not Digest” from the dropdown, you will receive a separate notification for each action you’ve elected to receive a notification for.
You may choose to receive a notification for these pre-set options:
- Work - Based Learning Opportunity Finder Referral Outgoing - All
- Receive alerts whenever a student from your school is referred to an opportunity
- Work - Based Learning Opportunity Finder Referral Outgoing - Point of Contact
- Receive alerts when a student who has selected you as the Point of Contact is referred to an opportunity
- Work - Based Learning Opportunity Finder Referral Received - All
- Receive alerts for all Work-Based Learning Opportunities referral that your organization hosts
- Work - Based Learning Opportunity Finder Referral Received - Point of Contact
- Receive alerts for all Work-Based Learning Opportunities referrals where you are the Point of Contact on the resource
Completing the referral process
There are two ways you will interact with a referral:
- Managing an outbound referral
- Viewing an inbound referral
But first - what does it mean to “make a referral?” A referral is the action of sharing an opportunity a student is interested in with another school or employer. The steps for the student referral selection process can be viewed here.
Managing an outbound referral
The process for managing an outbound referral begins when one of the students at your school or that you are the Point of Contact for refers themselves to a WBL opportunity of interest. If you’ve set up your notification, you receive a notification or see a New Referral (under Outgoing Referrals) on your dashboard.
Once one of your students has referred themselves, it is your job to work with that student to determine whether or not the WBL opportunity is a good fit. Please meet with your student (outside of this system) to agree whether a student should progress with the opportunity/opportunities they have identified.
Regardless of fit for an opportunity, you will need to update the referral status. To do so:
- Find “Outgoing Referrals” on your workspace page, then click “New Referral.”
2. Now you will find yourself on the Outgoing Referrals page, where you can view referrals students you are point of contact for/at your location have shared. To help you see newest referrals, you can sort by “Referral Date” by clicking on the header for that column.
Once you have found the referral you would like to update, select the magnifying glass icon under “Actions.”
3. You are now able to edit the referral you have opened.
IF the student who is interested in this opportunity is a GOOD FIT, use the Status dropdown to mark the referral as “Accepted.”
IF the student who is interested in this opportunity is NOT a good fit, use the Status dropdown to mark the referral as “Rejected” then document they reason they are not a good fit under Notes.
- After you have updated the referral accordingly, select “Update.”
If the student is a GOOD FIT…
*5. Guide the student through the next steps to taking advantage of the opportunity. If the steps are not clear on the WBL Opportunity, message the Point of Contact on the opportunity.
Viewing an Incoming Referral
There is no action required in the system when it comes to Incoming Referrals. They are here for you to be aware of when students from other schools or divisions express interest in a resource you or your location posted. When Incoming Referrals appear under “New Referral” this means you can a student is interested in an opportunity you host.
Using the Messaging Center to communicate
Whether it be clarifying next steps with a student or informing another Professional that a student received an offer on their opportunity, sending messages within VAVoyager is easy. Begin by clicking the speech bubble icon in the top right corner toolbar.
From there you will be taken to the Message Center.
Creating a Message Group
In order to send a message in the Message Center, you will need to create Message Groups. Message Groups can be as small as 1 person and as large as you need! To begin, select the tab “Message Groups” on the left side of your page.
Once here you will see some default groups, as well as any you may have added previously. To create a new group, click “New Message Group.”