Careers in Colorado is a free online resource to help students and job-seekers learn about careers in growing industries in Colorado. Interactive, regional career pathways modules currently exist for 13 different industries, and more are added every year!
Some things you will notice on the site are:
- Introductory overviews and facts about key Colorado industries and regional top jobs
- Career pathway maps highlighting individual occupations and career progression options
- Details about education and training program requirements and opportunities in Colorado
- Competency information on the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for each occupation
- Colorado and regionally specific occupational demand and salary data
Scroll through this article to learn all about the tool, or use the below links to jump to a specific topic.
- Accessing Careers in Colorado
- Searching for a career
- Available industries
- Viewing pathways within an industry
- Viewing occupations
Accessing Careers in Colorado
Careers in Colorado information is available to the public; anyone can access it without having an account and a password. Feel free to look around, explore career paths, and learn more about potential opportunities. To access, click here or navigate to the Tools menu at mycoloradojourney.com.
If you're currently signed in, Tools will be available in your left hand menu. Click “Go” to get started!
Searching for a career
You can search for a career in Careers in Colorado by using the search bar on the home page.
Type in a specific occupation title or a keyword and press Enter. The system will generate a list of occupation options based on your entry, which you can then click to learn more.
The list of available industries is constantly expanding as the Colorado landscape changes. Check out the tool to see what is available today!
Viewing pathways within an industry
Each industry has an overview page with additional details on its current state and future prospects.
At the bottom of the page, each industry is further broken down into pathways. Click “Go” on the tile of the pathway you are interested in to see more.
Under each career path we show the occupations at different levels.
- Entry-level: Zero to two years' experience in an apprenticeship, on-the-job training or previous work-related skills, knowledge or experience may be required AND/OR a high school diploma, some postsecondary credential or training, up to an Associate's degree, or vocational school training.
- Mid-level: Two to four years previous related work experience AND/OR a Bachelor's degree or completion of an apprenticeship may be required.
- Advanced-level: Four-plus years' experience with considerable or extensive skills, knowledge, and experience, AND/OR a graduate degree may be required.
When you enter a pathway, the right side of the screen will display information about the pathway. You can use this information to become familiar with the career pathway before drilling into the specifics of the occupations.
You can view different occupations in two ways in Careers in Colorado: keyword search and hierarchy navigation.
On the homepage of Careers in Colorado, type a specific occupation title or keyword in the search field and press Enter. The system will generate a list of occupation options based on your entry, which you can then click to learn more.
You can also find an occupation by clicking through the Industry > Pathway > Occupation hierarchies within Careers in Colorado. This option is more exploratory and a great way to learn about additional occupations you may not have previously considered.
Keep in mind that due to the varying nature of each industry, not all pathways will have an occupation at each level.
When you click on an occupation within a pathway, a variety of information will populate. Explore salary, openings, growth information, and more!