Explore options after my GED or high school diploma
This Outcome exposes the individual to a variety of post secondary options to assist them in making an informed decision about their next step
- Zoom in on two-year Colleges: Explore degree and certificate options, determine how to apply, and explore two-year colleges in Colorado.
- Zoom in on four-year Colleges and Universities: Understand options at a four-year college or university, compare Colorado colleges that offer four-year (bachelor’s) degrees, protect myself from falling for a degree/diploma mill scam. Find out about agreements with other states that may save me money.
- Learn about transferring credits: Get informed on transferring credits from a two-year to four-year college, Understand transferring credits through a "Guided Pathway" and understand getting credits from other sources
- Zoom in on direct to work: Understand the benefits and tradeoffs of going right to work after high school or GED. Connect my job now to future career interests and explore jobs that rank in the top 100. Do not let lack of money stand in my way to further education.
- Explore taking a “Gap Year”: Make good use of a year off; learn how to manage my money. Look at my options for travel, volunteering, or an internship, and keep college on my horizon during your gap year.
- View a summary of my options after GED/diploma: Get a grip on how "credentials" and "degrees" work. Check out basic options and learn more about four-year colleges and universities and two-year & technical colleges. Get the scoop on apprenticeships and check out private occupational and technical schools. Consider serving in the U.S. Military, find out about going directly to work, investigate taking a "gap year" (year off), pick my favorite option, double check - I may need a license plus credential to work in my career. Learn how my high school choices can affect my options and take concurrent enrollment classes to get high school and college credits
- Zoom in on occupational/technical schools: Identify certificate programs that might interest me, look into how I can apply to certificate programs, and explore occupational/technical schools.
- Zoom in on apprenticeships: Explore how I can earn while I learn with an apprenticeship. Explore related options for advancing my education or career and learn what will be required of me as an apprentice
- Zoom in on military service: Look into joining the military and explore the benefits. Explore the expectations of each branch of the military and learn what's required to join. Take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test and learn how serving can help me finance additional education.